Go for lead free paint

Go for lead free paint

 Lead in Paint

‘Protect our Children, Protect Pregnant Mother, Protect Our Home’

When are you most at risk?

When the work you are doing produces lead dust, fume or vapour you are most
at risk. This can include:

  • blast removal and burning of old lead paint;
  • stripping of old lead paint from doors, windows etc;
  • hot cutting in demolition and dismantling operations;
  • some painting of buildings;
  • some spray-painting of vehicles;
  • manufacturing and physically processing (eg bagging) lead compounds;
  • manufacturing leaded glass;
  • manufacturing and using pigments, colours and ceramic glazes;

How does lead get into your body?

When lead and items containing lead are processed, worked, or recovered from scrap or waste they can create lead dust, fume or vapour. Your body absorbs lead when you:

  • breathe in lead dust, fume or vapour;
  • swallow any lead, eg if you eat, drink, smoke, or bite your nails without washing
  • your hands and face.

Lead is not absorbed through the skin – except in the form of lead alkyls (an additive to petrol) and lead naphthenate which are not covered in this leaflet. Any lead you absorb at work will circulate in your blood. Your body gets rid of a small amount of lead each time you go to the toilet, but some will stay in your body, stored mainly in your bones. It can stay there for many years without making you ill.

Lead-Based Paint Cause…..

  • Lead is a highly toxic metal that may cause a range of health problems, especially in young children. When lead is absorbed into the body, it can cause damage to the brain and other vital organs, like the kidneys, nerves and blood.
  • Lead may also cause behavioral problems, learning disabilities, seizures and in extreme cases, death. Some symptoms of lead poisoning may include headaches, stomachaches, nausea, tiredness and irritability. Children who are lead poisoned may show no symptoms.
        How our children can exposed….. 
                 Both inside and outside the home, deteriorated lead-paint mixes with household dust and soil  and becomes tracked in. Children may become lead poisoned by:
  •  Putting their hands or other lead-contaminated objects into their mouths,
  •  Eating paint chips found in homes with peeling or flaking lead-based paint, or
  •  Playing in lead-contaminated soil
Most Common Sources of 
Lead Paints Poisoning
  • Deteriorating lead-based paint
  • Lead contaminated dust
  • Lead contaminated residential soil

Get more stuff

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Share on

Translate »